Wednesday, 3 August 2016

10 Steps To Being Productive

Sometimes we can all find ourselves in a place where we simply cannot be bothered to do simple tasks or we struggle to find the motivation to make the most of our day. After this point, somehow it becomes a recurring theme for many days in a row and by Sunday you realise you've not done half the things you set out to do Monday morning. Cue the heavy conscience and the crappy feeling you feel yourself wallowing in. Great.

Heres the bottom line; you've only got yourself to blame, and nobody will sympathise with somebody who can't be bothered to move their ass from their bed. You look weak. So get up.

I realise that's easier said than done once you get yourself in a rut like this. Hence why I have devised these 10 steps which, when effort is applied, should help you man up.

Step 1: Plan ahead.

Being productive largely starts off with being organised. Even if its just the night before, as you're trying to slip into slumber, just think about what you want to come of tomorrow. Picture how you want the day to unfold. I actually find that the night before is the best time to do this as you're mind is generally the clearest and the most vulnerable to inspiration. Well who better to take inspiration from than yourself? As long as you don't put pressure on yourself to have the next day to turn out exactly how you picture it (as it often won't be exactly to your expectations) and as long as you know to accept that, then its a good way to set your short term goals.

Step 2: Get a goodnight's rest.

'A goodnight's rest' doesn't mean just getting your minimum of 8 hours sleep and then you're good to go. Because you'll find if your 8 hours start somewhere around 3am, and finish at around 11am, you're still going to feel tired. Not to mention the fact you've just lost a solid 4 hours of your day. So, its fairly important to make sure you adjust your body clock to fall into the routine of going to bed early and waking up early. This is something I struggle with myself so I understand it's hard but the key is to be strict with yourself. My point being, really try to wake up early as it will allow you to wake up with the day, as apposed to chasing it from behind.

Step 3: Make your bed.

This one may sound silly but it does make a difference. You probably already do this, but when you get lazy you start to think things such as ' There's no point in making my bed, I'll be back in it in a matter of hours if I ever decide to move' or something along those lines. These kind of thoughts just do not contribute to your efforts of trying to be more productive. Trust me, it feels so much better to see a made bed rather than one all scruffy. Just try it- actually while you're at it think about changing the sheets, even if they don't really need it, theres nothing better than being in fresh clean sheets.

Step 4: Make lists.

I loooove list making. I think it has something to do with the fact that I'm a very visual person, so seeing my jobs written down makes it far less stressful and I become more inclined to do jobs on it. Not to mention the feeling of accomplishment you get when you see all your jobs crossed off is super rewarding, it's what we like and probably just what you need.

Step 5: Pamper yourself.

If you have time, it may help to take a second out of your morning routine to pamper yourself. Maybe run a bath, slap on a face mask and just really try and make yourself feel good. You won't want to do the things you have to if you're already not feeling your best. Even if it's just a case of getting dressed as staying in your pjs couldn't be worse for getting out of that 'sloppy' mindset. 

Step 6: Get your energy.

Breakfast is so important but eating well at breakfast is where the real boost will come from. Blend yourself some fruit and have some granola, make it all cute and Insta-worthy then get on with what you've got to do. You'll feel so good and ready,  I swear.

Step 7: Prioritise.

A key thing to remember is to put work first, fun later. As tempting as it is, that's just the way. While some people prefer to do little jobs first and cross them off quick, others may prefer to get the big jobs out of the way before anything else. I think its a matter of motivation. Personally I prefer to do do little jobs first as I struggle to get motivated but once I'm into the swing of things, I'm on it. Try both of these approaches and see which one works best for you. Just don't get distracted, you've come this far.

Step 8: Tidy.

Thinking about it, this could be on your To-Do list anyway, in which case you may be killing two birds with one stone. I don't know about you but I find it way easier to get things done when I'm in a tidy environment and it feels especially good if I can keep on top of the tidiness. To some it may come naturally to put things back straight away and find homes for things but for others, it doesn't. But lets face it, if you're focused its really not that hard to tidy an area around you to work in. A clear space = a clear mind.

Step 9: Find a new environment.

If just tidying your usual work set up isn't enough to get you working, then try switching up the scenes and find a new place to work in. The change may not help everyone but the difference in whereabouts usually reminds you what you're there for (work). 


Step 10: Reflect and Reward.

By the end of the day, when you've crossed off everything on your cute little (or maybe not so little) list. Take a moment to remember the feeling of accomplishment, it may be something small but if it means something to you, it will make you feel good and for that you deserve to treat yourself. 



I hope these tips where useful to you, maybe you've managed to find something else that works for you. If so, I'd love to know! 

Well done, and may tomorrow be just as productive. 





No comments:

Post a Comment